NFPA’s Firewise Communities/USA® Recognition Program is honoring 20 official Firewise communities from 11 states who celebrate their 10-year anniversary of continued participation and successes in reducing wildfire risks. The communities became nationally recognized in 2003, and were among the earliest adopters of the Firewise Communities/USA process.
- Holiday Island, Arkansas
- Joplin, Arkansas
- Norman, Arkansas
- Story, Arkansas
- Lakewood, Florida
- Verandah, Florida
- Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Minnesota
- River Run Plantation, North Carolina
- Town of St. James, North Carolina
- Village of Ruidoso, New Mexico
- Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
- Mountain Plains I & II, South Dakota
- Cumberland Cove, Tennessee
- Tierra Linda Ranch, Texas
- Wildcatter Ranch and Resort, Texas
- Chuckanut Ridge POA, Washington
- Lummi Island Scenic Estates, Washington
- Story, Wyoming
- Union Pass, Wyoming
Each community will receive a special flame-shaped glass award in honor of their long-term commitment to community wildfire safety.
More information about the Firewise Communities/USA Recognition Program and a complete list of official Firewise Communities/USA sites can be found on the Firewise website.